Wednesday 6 March 2013

Youth In Migration

Buju Banton once said 'What is to stop the youths from getting out of control, full up of education yet don't on a payroll'. 

Truer words have never been spoken. 

There has always been the battle of 'brain drain' and youths leaving the country to settle somewhere else. I saw one tweet today that said that youths in Barbados are not familiar with the wide range of vocational activities in the island and they therefore go in search of greener pastures. I must completely disagree with this logic. When Barbadian youths leave, they leave because the opportunities here are slim pickings. They tell you that you are either over qualified, not qualified enough or don't have any experience. I have an Associate Degree, a Bachelors and a Masters, full to the brim with education and have come back home to the same saga that plagued me before. 'But you don't have much experience do you', well OK, help me by giving me the experience that I need. If we keep shutting down our youths in every way possible, not trying to help them in gaining what they need, how are they to thrive? How are they to prosper? 

I am and always have been in support of youth migration, mostly because one will never gain appreciation for where they live if they don't leave. I've went on trips countless times and it still meant nothing to me until I had to move away. Moving led me to realise how much I take the little things for granted, things like wearing slippers, the sun, sea and sand, my parent's smile, my friend's laughter, my grandmother's soup. And now that I'm back, I'm happy I have all of that once more, but there will always be something missing. If I'm not given the opportunity to make my mark on the world, how then can I inspire someone to do the same? 

We need to stop and think, are these youths leaving because they think Bim ain't shit, or are they leaving because they can't prove otherwise? 

I always like to throw in a piece of controversy. *snicker*

Love and Light my beautiful people.

*May the road rise to meet you*

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you remind me of me when I first returned from London. You read my recent article from Barbados Faces so you know how I felt. I would agree with your stance to the extent that I believe in an individual's right to explore the world and take advantage of all the good that is available. Particularly as a young person.

    That being said, I do not know if you read another post I wrote for the Barbados Diaspora blog - http://jmaughan.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/rethinking-the-better-life/

    It takes a look at what we see as the better life and I argue that a young person in Barbados is in a unique position to create their own opportunity. Yes it is difficult but with effort, it is possible to do, and possible to do within a year.It requires A LOT of work!

    So whilst you submit your CV to opportunities in Barbados to as far as Australia. I challenge a bright spark like you to start looking for ways that you can put your current skills and knowledge to the test. How about using your blog space to speak about relevant issues that are of concern to you and make recommendations for how the situation can be improved? How about looking for activities in your area that you can volunteer you time to? Employers hire persons that are already doing something, so in your CV or interview, or hey even in your networking, you can proudly say: "I have been writing on x situation as I currently see it and would love the practical experience in the field to deepen my knowledge. Please read these blog posts and tell me what you think." Or "I am volunteering in x organisation and it has developed my practical skills in y. I would love to find a job doing this." Other strategies are going to the meetings or linking with persons in your field to get their guidance. The more people that know what you want to do the better because that eventually gets you to the right type of people working in your field who can really assist in getting that job. Remember to "stalk" these people, i.e. read about them, read their work and have something to say about it. This is how you get the job you want as opposed to shuffling papers for 5 years before someone feels you have 'paid your dues' and then let's you do something else.

    You have so much talent and I am really happy you started this blog. Now use this powerful voice to get yourself hired!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always make me smile when you post on my stuff. I'm still in the stalker stage and I've sent endless CV's entailing the work I would like to do but at the end of the day, this whole 'you don't have any experience' thing isn't going to cut it any more. It's as though we're forcing them to leave.

      Delete

I try not to create a space of negativity, my mum always told me, 'If you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all'.