Monday 11 March 2013

I'm Sorry, Why Can't Girls Run The World?

Let me start off by saying that I am in no way form or fashion knocking religion. I come from a religious family and while I might have strayed a bit, my faith hasn't. With that being said, let's do this ish!

So it's been really taxing on me lately to see all these posts about the Illuminati and hidden messages in music and what's not. If you choose to believe it, fine, I can't tell you what to believe, but when you can take something as simple as 'Who runs the World' by Beyonce and turn it into a devil worshipping anthem, I have a very big issue with that. I see alot of people posting pictures to the effect of, 'No Beyonce, Jesus/God runs the world' and how many evils lie in that song and most of them by women. Hold up, have we no sense of pride? I actually love the song. Why? Because girls need to know that they are more than just pieces of garbage to be thrown around. 

Girls need to know that they are beautiful, strong and can hold their own next to any man. What if the song were to say, 'Who runs the world - Men'? Would that be ok? Through all of the work I have done, even in everyday life by something as so simple as a Facebook post or a tweet, I see girls who have no sense of who they are and how powerful they can be. Must we continue this victimisation? Must we continue to belittle them? They need to be empowered and why not with a song telling them how awesome they are? If we do not say it to them constantly, we are to blame for the ills that they embrace in their lives. 

I guess what 'ol 'feminist' me is getting at, is that we need to take responsibility for what our society has done to girls, whether Black, White, Hispanic, Indian, Asian, mix up like cook up rice and the lot. We need to show them that there is more to life than fast cars, clothes, weave and money. We need to show them that just because they don't have degrees doesn't mean they can't make an impact on this world, because they can educate themselves. We need to show them why reading is so awesome, why smiling is so addictive and why love is so contagious. 

So ya know what boo boo, you do run the damn world. You are a girl and you are amazeballs! I've said it, now I think you need to look in the mirror and say it too.

Love and Light

*May the road rise to meet you*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try not to create a space of negativity, my mum always told me, 'If you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all'.