Friday 10 October 2014

A Love Letter to My Body

Dear Body, 

  We've come a LONG way. From being a bit skinny to a lot chubby, to me hating you and then loving parts of you. Phew, it's been a ride. We still have a love/hate relationship but but what girl doesn't?  I'm here to tell you, despite your hammy thighs, chub chub tum and gargantuan arms, I am still somehow deeply in love with you. 

Dear Body, those two ingrown pinkies have been your birth mark since childhood, and nail polish covers them up very well, no need to fear your long big toe nail beds make up for everything and your slim and small feet make them beautiful. Stop stressing. 
Yes your eczema pulls a shadow on your smooth legs and makes even your greasiest foot look dry but baby that's why they made E45 cream. Knock those scabs out of the park.  
Unfortunately, we've let the thighs get away a but dem ain ugly yet, thick thighs and short pants tuh de wurl! 

Dear Body, can we skip the midsection? That's a work in progress. Thanks. But we can go to those boobs and say thank you grandmother for genes that you thought I needed to possess even though they're painful to all, but in the right bra and shirt, you know you love those babies, hell, you got a sternum tattoo with the excuse to show them off a bit. Good for you! 

Let us thank The Divine for these tiny hands, slender fingers and long nail beds. They are extra beautiful when I put on my rings. Boom! 

But again body, can we just excuse these enormous arms:- work in progress! Thank you very much! 

Now on to this face that I struggled with for YEARS. To my dimple, you bring me joy. To $6500 and 3 years of braces, I love to smile. Wha shoot, Ah gotta show off de man money. To this nose I flattened during 12 years of sucking my finger, I wouldn't change it for the world. And to these eyes that hold the keys to my soul, brown eyed girl, I love you so. 

To this hair that I never know what I want to do with, natural, loc'ed or straightened I love you nonetheless.

Finally to this skin, to this complexion I hated for at least the 1st 16 years of my life. To this velvety skin, skin so smooth, I never need to cream (well except my legs) I've finally accepted to salute you. I salute you because darkies rule. I salute you because I let society's idea of beauty tell me what you should be. I am sorry for all the years I was angry at you and unless my children strike back to their grandparents, I cannot wait to bring a beautiful dark skinned baby into this world.

To my body:-

You're all I have, and I'd rather love you and put on my cute clothes and flaunt than hate you. 
I must admit, that as much as my mind has lost its muchness, my booty is bigger and I'll accept that over being a raging diet-a-holic any day. 

I love you. 

Yours always,

Vernée 

May the road RISE to meet you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try not to create a space of negativity, my mum always told me, 'If you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all'.