Sunday 24 May 2015

What's In A Name?

I would've kept this blog to post on Father's Day, but he'll get one then too. Oh! And 'eeeeeeekkkkkk'!! I haven't written since February! Life is way too hectic for me. I need to slow down, take a vacation and just chilllllll. But I digress.

What's in a name? I mean really, what's in a name anyway? Today's feature presentation stems from countless conversations I've been having as well as some insight into my own life, some good ol' retrospection.

I have no intentions on changing my name when I get married. None. The funny thing is that every time this conversation comes up people automatically assume it's all about me being a feminist and taking a stance. Er, no, that's not it at all.
Year before I wrote about legacies, about what we choose to leave others saying on this earth. About the life we are given and how we live them and my choice is based solely on legacy.

Vernon Coleridge Sobers was born on the 2nd of July 1941 and had 4 children. 3 boys and 1 girl (I assume you know that 1 girl is moi). 1 son is a Giles, 1 son is a Farrell and 1 son is a Sobers. He has two biological grandchildren and 1 adopted grand daughter, they are 2 Farrells and 1 Burnham. His other two sons don't have children (...yet and my fingers are crossed) and even if and WHEN they do, there's no guarantee that those children will take their last names, which at any rate leaves one son to actually carry on the Sobers name.
My daddy despite his lackadaisical, semi immoral, beautiful mind has created a great legacy and I feel as though it would be an injustice to him to throw away my name. I am a Sobers more than I am a Clarke or a Hinkson (mum's side of the family). I might take after my aunt's and my grandmother (mum's mummy) but I am Vernon to my core. I look like him, I have all of his attributes and whenever he leaves the island, despite whether I'm driving him/them or not, I have to get my two kisses and a rub nose to send him off as old as I am, He will always be my daddy. Not dad, or father, not even Papa Smurf as his children and grandchildren affectionately call him, but MY DADDY and I feel it is my duty to carry on that name.


Once I achieve a doctorate, I will Dr. Vernee Sobers PhD. I will marry the beautiful human being that I am engaged to, but I will not be a Barrow, I will be a Sobers. My children will have a double barrelled last name because I will drill in them the wonderful man their grand father is and was. 

I always say I owe everything in my life to faith and the love and perseverance of my parents. For always looking out for me even when I was convinced I could take care of myself, but it's also seeing them take care of others that has made me the person I am today. If I could spend the rest of my life helping people and still be able to live comfortably I would because that is the life I was shown. Serviam will always be my motto just like I've seen them serve family, friend and foe.

What's in a name? Who knows? What's in my daddy's name? A whole lot!

Stay tuned for more from the Sobers clan. 

May the road RISE to meet you.

That Sobers girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try not to create a space of negativity, my mum always told me, 'If you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all'.